I was really interested in making a piece where something was actually suspended midair. I had been deconstructing this chain-link fence for a project in my advanced sculpture and and installations class, and I thought the wires would make great supports. I rescued a block of wood from another class, and that was kind of the concept for the piece.

When some of the other people in the class said it might be better without the block, I took it out to see what it would look like...

Personally, I kind of still liked it with the block of wood in there. It gave it mass in my opinion. But then again, taking out the block makes the piece a lot more conceptual. What I liked best about the piece as a whole, though, is that it looked like a little creature. I was trying to avoid it at first, but by the end of our time together, he had grown on me. I mean, as long as I'm having fun, I think the work that comes out of it is a good thing. And always an exploration.

No comments:
Post a Comment