"Ugh, I can't get through a day without having a glass of wine," said the woman in the booth behind us. My friends and I exchanged bemused looks. Not only was it only 2:00 p.m., but we were also in Oak Park. It's a tiny upper-middle class bubble just north of Los Angeles, where everyone drives Cadillac Escalades and drinks tons of Starbucks. Don't get me wrong, it was an amazing place to grow up, I just couldn't imagine how anyone in Oak Park could have so many issues that they needed wine to medicate every day. Then again, maybe she's just so bored that she doesn't know what else to do.

I decided to shatter a wine bottle and put it back together. I don't want to project some weird undertones about alcoholism onto this piece, although I definitely think that there might be an issue when you need wine to get through the day.These are the kinds of sculptures I love doing though. Manipulation. I wasn't trying to put it back together as a wine bottle, but using the pieces to make it into something else entirely. When I enjoy it like this, I think I'm more happy with the product as well.
Here, too, the lower photo really captures the twisty energy of the piece, Ryan. I hope these things give you new, ongoing paths to follow--this one in particular is quite inspired. Funny, how that links with the notion of "home" (even with its downsides...)
ReplyDeleteI've found that to be true for myself as well--with Oceanside...