Like I said, I really wanted to do a piece about being open on the operating table. There's something really weird about knowing that someone's hands have been inside you. I know that sometimes I get some gruff for interpreting the words too literally, but I find that rooting my concepts in abstraction usually makes them worse. I think being literal is what works best for my creative process. And of course, there are plenty of definitions of the word "Open" that are much more conventional than the drawing I made.


I did think that the comments about the time period were interesting, and I still can't decide if it's the way I copied the image, the way I rendered the drawing, or my choice to use an extremely limited color palette. Also, I'm not sure if that bothers me or not. I agree that there are parts of the drawing I felt more confident in, though, and focusing on the actual shape of the object would have been a nice touch.
Lower drawing (the overall shot) looks very good in reproduction on line!
ReplyDelete